My Blog

My WordPress Blog

Post-Study Work Permit Visa for Indian Students in the UK

The graduate visa route is an excellent option for Indian students who wish to spend more time in the UK after completing their degree and obtaining more skills and experience.

International students who started their studies in the UK in 2020 or later are eligible to apply for a post-study work permit. The permit allows these overseas graduates to live and work in the UK for two years after completing their studies in UK-based universities.

What is a Graduate Visa Route?

A Graduate visa route permits international graduates, including Indians with valid immigration status, to apply for a two-year extension and look for jobs in the UK. To apply, the Student must have completed their course of study in any subject at undergraduate level or above at a designated Higher Education Provider in the UK. The Graduate Visa holders have the right to work or look for work, in any domain, for two years after completing their studies. As the leading education consultants in Delhi, Abhinav Immigration Services can help you prepare your study abroad application.

The graduate visa route is an excellent option for Indian students who wish to spend more time in the UK after completing their degree and obtaining more skills and experience.

Every year, the UK welcomes talented Indian students for their valuable contributions to its economic prosperity. The number of Indian students moving to the UK for higher studies has constantly increased over the last few years. Additionally, 96% of Indians applying for a UK visa are successful.

To be eligible for the new Graduate visa route, international graduates must have completed their course from a recognized university in the UK. They can look for a job and stay in the UK for two years. Doctoral Ph.D. students are eligible to extend their stay for three years.

The best thing about the graduate route is that students do not need to show proof of funds and no need to demonstrate English language proficiency. All they need a proof of qualification that was named on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies linked with your Student (or Tier 4) visa.


The cost for applying for the Graduate Visa route is s £700 (for both two and three-year Graduate route applications), and you must also pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, which costs £624 per year. The surcharge gives you access to the UK National Health Service.

Dependants will also be required to pay the application fee of £700, along with the Immigration Health Surcharge.

Can I switch to a skilled worker route?

Yes, you can switch to the Skilled Worker route if you meet the eligibility requirements. The skilled worker route permits to you relocate to the UK and settle in the country with your family members. However, you must have a job offer from an approved employer in the UK. The skilled worker route is valid for five years, and leads to permanent settlement.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Have a job offer from a Home Office-licensed sponsor at the required skill level
  • Be able to get the relevant minimum salary threshold by your sponsor (normally £25,600 or the going rate for that particular job, whichever is higher)
  • Speak English at the intermediate level at B1 (on the Common European Framework of Reference for languages).

Do you want to study in the UK? Our expert counsellors are ready to help you. Start your application process today with our simplified process and professional guidance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *